Canberra's Major Attractions
National Botanic Gardens
National Botanic Gardens covers 50 hectares that focus on over 5000 species of native flora. The misted rainforest is a highlight; there's a walk among medicinal plants used by the Aborigines; there are guided tours; and the eucalypt forest numbers over 500 species. Visit website »
Australian War Memorial
Australian War Memorial is a national shrine and museum with a fantastic collection of exhibits, militaria, relics and paintings documenting Australia's military history. Visit website »
Built into the peak of Capital Hill, is the focal point for the whole of Canberra. The interior incorporates Australian artworks and is designed to embody the spirit of democracy. Visitors can take a guided tour, have lunch on the terrace, or view the story of Australian democracy in the theatrette. Visit website »
More like a movie set than a museum, Questacon, the National Science and Technology Centre, is a hands-on science centre which takes visitors through a maze of scientific knowledge. Visit website »
National Gallery of Australia
The National Gallery has the finest modern art collection in the southern hemisphere. It has more than 60,000 works which range from European Old Masters to contemporary Aboriginal artists, and is renowned for its inter-national blockbuster exhibitions and permanent gems. Visit website »
Australian Reptile Centre Canberra
Situated at Gold Creek, the Australian Reptile Centre Canberra provides a dynamic, professionally presented educational venue of all things reptilian. Visit website »
Things to do in Canberra
- See some stardom at one of several great theatres. Choose from plays, dance, musical theatre and concerts.
- Try a stylish cocktail lounge, club, beer garden or bar offering live music or sport on a big screen
- Big Splash Waterpark - Eight waterslides, five pools. Sausage sizzle or catering available.
- Enjoy the thrills of indoor go-kart racing in a safe and professional environment
- Catch a flick at one of the cinema complexes around the area
- Interstate visitors are welcome at Canberra's licensed clubs which offer great value meals and entertainment.
- Be tantalised by the array of fresh produce at Canberra's markets which have a family friendly atmosphere.
- Visit numerous vineyards in the tranquil rural countryside around the ACT.
- Canberra is a great destination for food lovers. Dine with a view, relax in a stylish cafe and savour our region's produce.
What's on in Canberra
September - October
Commonwealth Park, Canberra
Floriade is the biggest flower festival in Australia, a spectacular celebration of spring, set in Canberra's Commonwealth Park.
Canberra Country Music Festival
Tuggeranong Performances, Canberra
This festival of great country music has something for everyone
Canberra Sri Chinmoy Triathlon Festival
This event is the total triathlon package: a sumptuous banquet of triathlon for athletes and spectators.
11 Nov 2015
Campbell Festivals, Canberra
Members of the public are encouraged to attend this important ceremony.
Community Christmas Lunch
25 Dec 2015
Webber Crescent, Calwell
All welcome to attend this free Community Christmas Lunch at Calwell Community Centre